I am MOM

I am MOM
If I knew then what I know now . . .
"I take a very practical view of raising children. I put a sign in each of their rooms: 'Checkout Time is 18 years.'"
Erma Bombeck

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Empty


There is a gun holster, lying in our ‘quiet room’.

On the table directly above the wayward holster, is a picturesque wooden statue of Buddha.  Buddha is sitting quietly (of course he is, IT IS a quiet room), with hands folded and eyes closed. But if his eyes were open, oddly enough, he would be staring right at the smoky-orange, plastic gun holster.  However, now that I take a second look, the holster is perching quietly on the edge of one of our meditation chairs.  So, I am left wondering, is the holster making a life-changing statement?  For it has presumably had some sort of falling out with its crooked counterpart – the gun, who is nowhere to be found - it appears to be choosing a more peaceful existence.

But now, my thoughts move to the gun.  This is a battle free home.  (Well, that is not exactly true – we seem to engage in battle almost daily – but for that we simply shoot sharp syllables, with surprising and superfluous punctuation, scattering sounds across the scene, like one flings feed for our feathered friends at a pond.)  I digress.  Ah yes, the gun and holster.  How did the holster come to rest on the aforementioned cream-colored cushion? Halloween. It was the belly-dancing princess warrior that required a gun.  (Well actually she wanted a sword, but we keep those locked up!)

In the end, I will simply dust around the holster.  I cannot blame it for it’s lot in life – and it seems to really want to change (it hasn’t moved a fibre in all this time – unbelievable commitment to meditation – don’t you think?)  One of the greatest lessons I have learned in this life is, don’t be judgmental of that which you do not fully understand.  


No comments:

Post a Comment