I am MOM

I am MOM
If I knew then what I know now . . .
"I take a very practical view of raising children. I put a sign in each of their rooms: 'Checkout Time is 18 years.'"
Erma Bombeck

Monday, January 21, 2013

Humor in the Howlway…




One of the most rewarding things about having kids is the amount of game playing that goes on.  Good plain fun, any time of day.  In the last week, we have been playing a version of charades that we learned watching Ellen, called Guesstures.  The hard part for us, as parents, is that we are never given any warning as to when we are playing. Our oldest daughter simply stops talking to us and begins her animated discourse.  
She throws her hands up in the air, and we eagerly call out, “Two words.”  
Her eyebrows lift, her nose wrinkles and she starts mouthing words silently.  
With enthusiasm we shout out, “Sounds like… Idiot.  Hmmm… bidiot, didiot, fidiot, gidiot, … No?”  
Then she starts kicking the debris on the floor, a sock goes flying across the room, followed by a dog toy.  
Now we are really getting into it – “Soccer… kicking… sports …” 
This is followed by a loud EEEEYYYYAAAG as she punches the air, runs down the hall and stomps loudly up the stairs. 
“OH, I get it,” I yell out, “Boot camp.”

___________________________________________


I have been thinking about trying Hot Yoga for some time.  Some of my friends have tried it, and swear by it.  Personally, I have been a bit skeptical.  I am more than a little nervous about the high heat and humidity (39-41 degrees with 40% humidity), as I am more sensitive than the average person, and am prone to dizziness and nausea.  But, not one to let my fears take over; I decided to try a bit of hot yoga at home.  The only room that I could control the environment in, was my bathroom.  So, I got everything set up, and then stripped naked (it’s hot!).  I entered the precisely controlled and sweltering environment. I stretched out one leg, and then the other and then settled into dead man’s pose.  This is good, I thought.  I rested my head back on the bath pillow, picked up a book and managed to hold that position for 35 minutes.  It’s going to take some practice to work up to the required 90 minutes!
__________________________________________

On Wednesday I got a haircut.  I came out of the salon looking like I had been tumbled dried with Rod Stewart and Phyllis Diller.  I hadn’t had a hairstyle this bad since the bowl-cuts of the ‘70’s!  It was so bad, I had to put a hat on while driving home, and wear dark glasses to hide the tears.  By Friday not one person had commented on my dramatically changed hair.  By Saturday I worried that it was so bad people were afraid to say anything.  By Sunday, I realized no one cared about my hair.  (And they say children are egocentric!)
_________________________________________

You can learn so much through marriage.  For instance, this week I found out that our home insurance policy covers stupidity.  No kidding; I guess it is implicit in the “Perils Insured Against” section.  Months ago, my husband decided to hand install a new security system in our home.  (Most people hire companies to do this, but… not us!)  Next, he downloaded an App so that we could control the security system from our phones.  (Why not?) And then, last week he decided to install light switches throughout the house that could be turned on and off using our security system (and phones).  During the installation he had to turn the power off to whichever area he was working in.  Because he had no light, he had to use his ‘trouble-light’ (a bright light with a cage around it, and a REALLY long cord so you can plug it into the neighbors outdoor outlets if needed).  After finishing the lights in the basement, he came upstairs.  However, he left the trouble light turned on, laying on the carpet.  (NOW, I see why it is called a trouble light.)  It burnt several holes in our carpet – thank goodness we had the fire-resistant carpet installed! With unabashed resolve, my husband called our insurance company and admitted his folly – and now we will be getting new carpets installed in our basement. 
“Stupid is as stupid does.” (Forrest Gump)


No comments:

Post a Comment