I am MOM

I am MOM
If I knew then what I know now . . .
"I take a very practical view of raising children. I put a sign in each of their rooms: 'Checkout Time is 18 years.'"
Erma Bombeck

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Jinx-ed


This is my first cat.
I had no idea.
I love this cat.
But…
I have to kick her out of my bedroom.
She is interfering with my latest obsession – sleep.
In the early morning, she gives a light and throaty Meow, as if to say Hey – you awake?
I am now, I yowl back.
I look at the clock – 5:33 – I roll over.
She gently places her paw on my bare shoulder - a light caress.  I’m hungry, she implies.  When I don’t immediately respond, her claws extend and she drags her paw slowly across my skin.
I roll over – “JINX – stop it!” I say.
She stares at me with her big, green eyes – feigning innocence.
I close my eyes and ignore her.
Then she leaps off the bed like a stunt double in “Puss ‘N Boots” – and lands with a thud, skidding towards the door.
I know she is hoping that I will follow her down the hall to her food dish.  I won’t.  She meows sweetly.

I ask myself the ridiculous question, that I feel cat owners everywhere are asking, “Why did I let her in here last night?” 
(If you are a cat owner – you know why.  If not, I will tell you.  At bedtime cats are incredibly endearing.  My cat tucks herself around the curve of my body purring and gently vibrating at the same time.  It is super cute, and sooooo relaxing.)

With a resolute Meow, Jinx projects herself onto the bed beside me, again. She steps onto my torso, and kneads her way across my chest – like a baker working dough. I groan as she hits a few tender spots.  She circles around and executes a perfect ‘downward dog’ pose – with her butt right in my face!  I roughly push her off while simultaneously sitting up.
“Okay, I'm up,” I say.  I shuffle to the doorway and pull the door swiftly open.  Jinx runs through the doorway and down the hallway with untethered excitement.  I watch her (with just a twinge of guilt) and I close the door and go back to bed. 





No comments:

Post a Comment