I am MOM

I am MOM
If I knew then what I know now . . .
"I take a very practical view of raising children. I put a sign in each of their rooms: 'Checkout Time is 18 years.'"
Erma Bombeck

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ethiopian Moment

November 27, 2009
Faven and I had just finished an hour at an International Adoption Seminar - we were the panel, presenting our adoption experience. By the end of it, she was bored, tired and hungry. Once we settled in the van, I handed her her snack bag.
"No", not hungry", she whined. "Tired" she groaned, as if she was in pain.
"Okay, have a sleep" I muttered.
Several minutes later, as I was traveling down Crowchild Trail, I checked the rear view mirror to see how she was doing. I couldn't see her at all. I imagined she was slumped over asleep, but couldn't exactly turn around and check while doing 80 km/hr in traffic. I adjusted the mirror downwards, and her seat was empty - and so, it appeared, were all of the other seats. I stole a quick glance and saw Faven lying face down across the back seat, sound asleep.
"FAVEN!!........... WHAT are you doing?" I hastened.
"What Mom? Sleeping." she offered with a tone that said, Are you blind - or daft?
"Dangerous!" I stammered.
Maintaining my cruising speed, I inched over to the inside lane, looking around for somewhere to stop....... there wasn't anywhere. "Faven, seat belt." I managed, more calmly than I felt.
"Mawm, tired", she complained, starting to cry.
"Faven, Canada, seat belt, Ethiopia, no seat belt. Seat belt NOW!"
She sat up and put her seat belt on, then proceeded to lie back down again. I started to protest and then thought better of it. I had survived without seatbelts, she would be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment