I am MOM

I am MOM
If I knew then what I know now . . .
"I take a very practical view of raising children. I put a sign in each of their rooms: 'Checkout Time is 18 years.'"
Erma Bombeck

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Food

Food

October 18th, 2009

In Ethiopia, food is predominantly consumed without the aid of utensils. A sour flat bread called injera is used to "scoop" up the food and sauces, and popped into ones mouth, using the right hand. Though a lot of people have been exposed to utensils, it is still not the preferred method. So, feeding Faven this week has been . . . a challenge.

Today, for lunch, we had the most unique combinations of food. We had chips and salsa for a snack. Time got away from me, and we didn't even start to prepare until 1 pm. However, Faven wouldn't eat that because it had cheese on it, to which she said, "cheese, I no like," (the same thing she says about pasta, macaroni, and potatoes.) While we were snacking, I opened the fridge and Faven pulled out the corn on the cob. Okay, I thought, why not? Yohannes and Faven shucked the corn, all over the floor, so then we had a quick lesson in vacuuming (which is another story completely--and a delay in our lunch prep.) To 'round out' our meal we also had Shreddies, carrots and injera-with salsa, for Faven.

While the corn was boiling, I asked, "Is it done?" Incredulous, Faven looked at me, "Mawm, what? No! Mawm . . . dis," she said pointing to another burner on the stove.

I looked at the burner, and put my hands in the air, "What?" I wished that when God gifted this child to me, He would have also given me the skills to understand her!

She twisted her face, pointed to the corn again, pointed to the burner, and then started to make sizzling sounds accompanied by gestures, and said, "Next dis".

"Oh, okay," I exclaimed joyous that I understood her--not about her plan. Faven found a slotted pan that we use to roast vegetables on the BBQ, she put the corn into it, and roasted the corn over the gas burner to brown all of the kernels, which is the way they eat it in Ethiopia (well, except that they don't have the luxury of boiling it first, or gas stoves in their kitchens, or kitchens for that matter--I think you get the picture.)


No comments:

Post a Comment